10/24/11

Kooley High's Performance in DC

We all have our beats; the places that we can be found at on a normal basis. For me Everlasting Life Cafe (ELC) has been added to my weekly itinerary, as of last month. Almost every Saturday night various hip hop acts come out to the cafe, showcasing some of the best artists in the greater DC area. However, last Saturday ELC had out of town visitors: members of Kooley High including Charlie Smarts, Tab-One, and Foolery. The performance was especially special to me, due to Kooley High being first southern hip hop act I ever listened to. I became a fan of Kooley High in 2008 when they dropped their first mixtape, titled "Raleigh's Finest". After listening to the group for so long I was extremely excited to hear they were coming to a venue I frequented. Their performance was great; especially due to their performance of Kooley Is High at the end of their set; my favorite track off their second mixtape: "Kooley Is High". Even though seeing Kooley High was a exciting moment in my Hip Hop fandom their where other notable acts of the evening I also saw for the first time including Black King Soul, Awthentik and The Fif, Toine of DTMD, and UptownXO. Seeing Kooley High is now marked off my bucket list, and I look forward to seeing the music they release in the future.













Charlie Smarts brought his high energy flow with him to DC, creating a lively atmosphere throughout the entire set. 













Tab-One showed his DC side, present with his DURKL shirt.













I was privileged to get to speak with all of the members of Kooley High visiting DC; listed from left to right: Charlie Smarts, Tab-One, Foolery, and on the far right Kooley High's friend Ace Jones.

1 comment:

  1. Aww no love for my skinny friend in the glasses? That's Ace Jones: http://peyegee.tumblr.com/

    ReplyDelete